Coronado National Forest - Mt. Lemmon - Butterfly Trail

>> Monday, August 3, 2009

Last week I spent several days on Mt. Lemmon in the Coronado National Forest near Tucson, AZ camping and hiking. This will begin a series of several new hikes not yet posted in this blog, all from that trip. My first day there I hiked the Butterfly Trail, which I have done before but never recorded in my blog. I setup camp on Mt. Bigelow near the radio towers. You can camp (primitive style) where you like along that forest road and during the week it should not be too hard to find a spot. (You can use the toilets and get water near the Palisades Visitor center where the Mt. Bigelow trail begins.) I then hiked the forest road away from the radio towers towards Catalina highway. If you take it the whole way the road will intersect Catalina highway at Bear Wallow. I then hiked about 1/3 mile on the highway to the Butterfly trail head. (By doing it this way, I am hiking the trail back to my campsite.) The total mileage of the trail plus the roads should be nearly 9 miles. The trail, like many on the mountain, has major up and downhill sections on it, so be prepared. This was a wonderful hike filled with wildlife encounters including butterflies, hummingbirds, deer, a rattlesnake, and a bear. (The bear and deer ran off too quickly for pictures - they didn't stick around like the snake and butterflies.) The landscape is also exquisite on this hike with its pine forests, hillsides of berries, a waterfall (seasonal), and panoramic overlooks. There are still some areas the fires have burned but it is small compared to other hikes. This is a quiet, peaceful place where wildflowers abound, gentle breezes blow and the sounds of the forest can be heard. On my weekday
hikes I've rarely encountered other hikers on this trek through the woods which is no doubt why I saw so many animals. This hike may be better a little earlier in the month, as I really hoped to have seen a lot more butterflies than I did. It seems around July was a good time for this trail if you want to see a plethora of flowers. There are also several nice spots on this trail to watch the sunrise and one I found is only a little ways down Mt. Bigelow, so I could just stumble out of my tent at 5am and down the trail to watch it and then go back to bed!












If you are looking to travel to Tucson, or anywhere else, be sure to click over to my travel site.
If you like the images you see they are available at my Zazzle gallery.
For Coronado National Forest visitor information click the link.
I have images on Flickr ! Please visit and post comments.

0 comments:

Sacred Spaces Travel is...

An insider's travel journal to places of wonder, to God's creation at its best. A spiritual, insightful, helpful, travel guide to locations that will touch your soul. Only heaven itself could outdo the magnificence of these sites. Without a doubt, the most beauty one can experience this side of eternity. The adventure begins in my neck of the woods, the desert southwest (Tucson, AZ and beyond). Explore through images, writing, and tips places where man only comes as a visitor. Where the flora and fauna are in control and we humans are only present to marvel at their glory. Season by season we'll observe nature go through her circle of life. Prepare to embark on a journey devoid of worldly concerns to where a bit of heaven touches earth. For it is in those wild, quiet, deserted, sacred spaces God's voice more clearly is heard.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP