Coronado National Forest - Ventana Canyon Trail

>> Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Another pleasant day got me out to take on a challenging hike up to a natural arch in a jagged rock formation overlooking the spectacular Ventana Canyon within Coronado National Forest. Finding the trail to Ventana Canyon is interesting as it starts in the back of the employee parking at the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort; a helpful staff member there helped me locate it. Early on the trail goes in between parcels of private land so you're stuck with some hiking with tall fences on either side of you until you get into the canyon. Once you're in you realize immediately that this will be an awesome hike through one of the more stunning canyons in the Catalina mountain range. Jagged colorful towers of rock loom above you as you hike up through a wash on the canyon floor. Birds of many kinds were everywhere making up for the lack of wildlife on some of my other recent excursions. Blue jays, cardinals, finches, quail, a woodpecker, and hummingbirds frolicked in the trees along the wash. The trail featured some steep climbs and some tough rocky areas to be negotiated on the journey as well as a few places where the trail wasn't so obvious. This really increased the amount of time required to complete the appx. 13 mile round trip I had planned. I stopped for a snack alongside an area of pools where water is generally present year-round creating an oasis, a perfect spot for some wildlife and flower viewing. Beyond the pools I never saw another hiker on this not too heavily traveled Tucson trail. After my brief stay I needed to press on so I could reach the arch which I was determined to make it to. It wasn't too long before the arch came into view situated well up on the hillside, meaning I still had some decent climbing yet to do. (If you look real hard you can barely make it out in the small image to the left.) Up and up through the switchbacks the trail rose and the beauty just continued to increase. As I approached a fork in the trail I found a small rattlesnake stretched out right across my path. It stayed quite still despite my presence allowing me a few pictures and then I cautiously went around it and on my way. I stopped and gazed at some striking rock formations ahead on the Finger rock trail and then I continued on to the Esperro Canyon trail which would take me to my final destination. After the heart pounding climb to over 7,000 feet, I was finally on top of the ridge featuring an incredible view with a canyon on my left and right as I hiked along it. I kept staring at the city below; Tucson seemed a world away from where I was. While being alone in the canyon was a wonderful experience I was also a bit concerned how far away I was with nightfall not too far off. As I fought my way up towards the pillars of rock I somehow missed the arch; the trees and bushes and the trails angle obscured my view a bit as I was hiking and I goofed. After hiking for a bit I realized I had to of somehow passed it and turned around. Coming from the other direction and downhill the light shining through the rocks made the arch easy to spot and I celebrated that I had finally made it! With the sun sinking quickly there was only time for a few pictures and a snack before beginning a swift descent back to civilization. I barreled down the trail not wanting to get back too late but also knowing a full moon along with my flashlight would be there for me if I didn't make it before nightfall. Late day light illuminated the canyon, its yellow glow enhancing the majesty of this special place. As darkness settled into the canyon I turned on my light, knowing that the trail was hard to follow when it would cross back and forth through the wash. At one point I lost the trail which is a bit nerve racking in the dark. I decided to hike down the wash which would have worked ordinarily, but I ran into a fence for private property (what a pain). Anyway, I quickly backtracked and was able to locate it again. I was close to the private property which meant fences on both sides of me making it near impossible to get off the trail again. Under a full moon I finished my trek back to the trail head where I was greeted by a pack of javelina's who were probably sad that I finished every ounce of food I took with me on this trip. I was spent to say the least. That will go down as one of the toughest hikes I've done, but it was absolutely well worth it and I'm sure I'll do it again.

If you are looking to travel to Tucson, or anywhere else, be sure to click over to my travel site.
If you like the images you see they are available at my Zazzle gallery.
For Coronado National Forest visitor information click here.

0 comments:

Sacred Spaces Travel is...

An insider's travel journal to places of wonder, to God's creation at its best. A spiritual, insightful, helpful, travel guide to locations that will touch your soul. Only heaven itself could outdo the magnificence of these sites. Without a doubt, the most beauty one can experience this side of eternity. The adventure begins in my neck of the woods, the desert southwest (Tucson, AZ and beyond). Explore through images, writing, and tips places where man only comes as a visitor. Where the flora and fauna are in control and we humans are only present to marvel at their glory. Season by season we'll observe nature go through her circle of life. Prepare to embark on a journey devoid of worldly concerns to where a bit of heaven touches earth. For it is in those wild, quiet, deserted, sacred spaces God's voice more clearly is heard.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP