Saguaro National Park (West/Tucson District) #1 - Sweetwater Trail

>> Tuesday, April 7, 2009

This past weeks jaunt was a day hike that ended as a night hike due to loosing track of time. The temperature was mild on this sunny day, with not a cloud in sight. A cool breeze was stirring making it an ideal hiking day again. I was tackling the Camino del Cerro / Sweetwater Trail up to Wasson Peak on the eastern side of Saguaro National Park's Tucson district. The hike had been written up in Arizona Highways as a good one for wildflowers and I felt well prepared to handle the gradual 4.6 mile climb to the top of the peak. I set off on the trail which largely ascends small hills with occasional drops down to washes and then back up again. The trail is sometimes smooth and sometimes rocky with small areas of loose rocks. Quite often in the beginning are steps going up the hills which eventually stop as the trail gets up in mileage. The dry spring we've had made for far fewer wildflowers than what one would find in a good year. Most flowers were small and few in number. It was obvious from the plants I observed that a wet year would have brought these rocky hills alive with a potpourri of blooms that would be quite stunning. Thankfully the gorgeous blooms of a short barrel shaped cactus and ocotillo made the hike worthwhile. Their stunning color was easy to spot in the dry earth tones making up the majority of the hillside. As the day was early, I took my time, hiking slow enough that a few other hikers passed me on this lightly traveled trail. I stopped numerous times to look at flowers and watch bees playing in the pollen of the intense purple blooms of some cactus. This was an enjoyable hike which seemed to go quickly despite the long climb. The view along the way was spectacular and when finally at the top you could see a great distance in all directions. It provided a wonderful look at Tucson, and the Catalina's, and out across the desert landscape. I spent some time enjoying this view before meandering my way slowly back down. Desiring to catch the evening light on the Catalina's I worked may way back to a spot with a nice view along the trail. I hung out there and relaxed and enjoyed what nature had to offer. As the sun began its descent I began taking some photos of fiery red ocotillo plants with the Catalina mountains in the background. The lighting and contrast was spectacular but just didn't show up well on the camera. After enjoying some of this late day spectacle I headed off down the trail figuring I could make it back before dark. Normally I have my cell phone with me and can get the time for sunset and know when to start my return, but due to its dead battery it was of no use. The daylight disappeared in a hurry and the trail which seemed so short coming in, seemed much longer on the return. Darkness closed in quickly and I was thankful of the half moon directly over head, lighting my path. (I had a flashlight in my pack available but was enjoying the night stroll.) I hiked quickly back, more concerned of whether someone would lock the gate stranding my vehicle and I inside than anything else, as the trail closes at sunset (no one closed the gate). I didn't come across any wildlife, except a few birds, in the late day, which was a surprise but was also good since you'd rather not spook a skunk or such. It was yet another fantastic hike off and away from city life into the beauty and solitude of creation.

If you are looking to travel to Tucson, or anywhere else, be sure to click over to my travel site.
If you like the images you see they are available at my Zazzle gallery.
For Saguaro Nat'l. Park visitor information click here.

0 comments:

Sacred Spaces Travel is...

An insider's travel journal to places of wonder, to God's creation at its best. A spiritual, insightful, helpful, travel guide to locations that will touch your soul. Only heaven itself could outdo the magnificence of these sites. Without a doubt, the most beauty one can experience this side of eternity. The adventure begins in my neck of the woods, the desert southwest (Tucson, AZ and beyond). Explore through images, writing, and tips places where man only comes as a visitor. Where the flora and fauna are in control and we humans are only present to marvel at their glory. Season by season we'll observe nature go through her circle of life. Prepare to embark on a journey devoid of worldly concerns to where a bit of heaven touches earth. For it is in those wild, quiet, deserted, sacred spaces God's voice more clearly is heard.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP