Coronado National Forest - Finger Rock Canyon Trail

>> Tuesday, November 24, 2009


Trail info: Mileage: 9.2 miles (out and back) / Elevation (low-high): 3120-6880 / Location: At the very north end of Alvernon Rd - take Swan north to Skyline and turn left, take Skyline to Alvernon and turn right, then watch for the trail parking on the left at the top of the hill

Wow! There are few trails that I return from that have dealt me a butt kicking like this one. I doubt I've ever hiked a trail as difficult as Finger Rock. I hurt for 2 days after this hike! The trail starts off easy enough, then progresses to steep switchbacks and patches of large rocks to climb over throughout much of the journey to the top. The views and beauty of the area certainly make it worth the grueling hike. It is a spectacular trip to say the least climbing up from the desert terrain, through the canyon, and into areas of juniper and pine. Just take plenty of water and high energy food and the best pair of hiking shoes you can afford. There are not only great views of finger rock, but interesting rocky hillsides and Tucson below. A mix of clouds and sun made for an ideal hike and I made many stops to gaze at the awesome rugged landscape and put my heart back in my chest. I ran into the typical dessert wildlife such as lizards and buzzards circling, waiting for any hikers that didn't make it back. I did run into several other hikers on my trip, as this trail is popular despite being so challenging. When I reached the trail's end I enjoyed lunch, a great view, and some r-n-r before heading down. I was glad to have my head lamp with me as I didn't return until well after dark with sunset being at 5:30 these days. Hiking back under the setting sun does make for a stunning return trip on about any hike. As the bright sun slipped beneath the mountains a sliver of moon came into view and hung over the city below, just adding more beauty to this great day. However, once it's dark this trail can be tough to see, although I never had a problem other than needing to slow down my pace so as to not loose it.

  • Get travel deals here! My Rovia travel site
  • 0 comments:

    Sacred Spaces Travel is...

    An insider's travel journal to places of wonder, to God's creation at its best. A spiritual, insightful, helpful, travel guide to locations that will touch your soul. Only heaven itself could outdo the magnificence of these sites. Without a doubt, the most beauty one can experience this side of eternity. The adventure begins in my neck of the woods, the desert southwest (Tucson, AZ and beyond). Explore through images, writing, and tips places where man only comes as a visitor. Where the flora and fauna are in control and we humans are only present to marvel at their glory. Season by season we'll observe nature go through her circle of life. Prepare to embark on a journey devoid of worldly concerns to where a bit of heaven touches earth. For it is in those wild, quiet, deserted, sacred spaces God's voice more clearly is heard.

      © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP